Follow the Yukon Quest
Yukon Quest 1000mile internation sled dog race
Our experienced guides will teach you what it takes to compete in the most demanding wilderness race – without having to actually compete.
You’ll witness the rigor of a checkpoint inspection, marvel at the bond between dog team and musher, and feel the thrill of the Yukon Quest. Step on the runners yourself and enjoy a day on the famous Yukon Quest trail.
Here’s what you get:
- All transportation to activities.
- 4 days Dawson city with excursion Tombstone
- Accommodation in Dawson City
- Accommodation at Muktuk Adventures
- Ice fishing incl license
- Day tour dog sledding
- Wildlife preserve and Hotsprings
- Sightseeing Whitehorse
- All Meals while staying at the Muktuk Lodge
- Cinnamon Bun in Braeburn
- Ticket for the Finish Banquet
- Yukon Quest Poster
- Warm Winter Gear for sledding
- Flight to and from Whitehorse
- Meals and drinks while on the road or at checkpoints (Dawson, Pelly, Carmaks)
- all personal expenses
- Travel insurance
2019 Itinerary Day 1 – arrival at Muktuk Adventures. Your guestroom or cabin is reserved for you in our unique B&B. We are located in the breathtaking ibex valley along the Takhini River where you will get to meet the 4 and 2 legged family of Muktuk and settle in.
Day 2 – Exploring Whitehorse we will be visiting the town and it surroundings, learning about the history of Whitehorse and the Yukon Quest. Miles Canyon once a tricky passage for the Stampedes during the gold rush is now a sonic hiking trail along the Yukon.
Day 3 – dog sledding full day Today is the day you get to experience the thrill of driving your own dog team. We are heading out on the same trail the Quest teams will be traveling on a couple days from now. We will spend a day on the trail, having lunch around a bonfire while enjoying the beauty and quiet of the Yukon with our 4 legged friends. After a day on the dog team we will be relaxing at the Hot springs.
Day 4 – Meet the Musher Meet the Mushers is the big event of the day. After looking at the musher in magazines and hearing about them you will get to meet them in person. The event is not until late afternoon so we will use the day to explore the trails around Muktuk with snowshoes.
Day 5 – Wildlife preserve – Banquet The Yukon Wildlife preserve is a great place to see local wildlife. Lynx, arctic fox, mountain goats, muskoxen and more. The evening will be filled with music and enterainment during the starting banquet. Here mushers will draw their bib numbers and we will finally know how will leave the starting chute first.
Day 6 – Ice fishing Another day to experience the endless wilderness of the Yukon. We will be driving to one of the many lakes in the area and try our luck in catching lake trout, kokanee or pike
Day 7 – RACE DAY Today is the day we been getting ready for all week – Race start. After a hearty breakfast at Muktuk we will go to Shipyards park and watch mushers getting ready for their 1000mile journey. It is exhilarating to watch those dogs leaving the starting chute
Day 8/9 – Braeburn After all teams left the starting chute we will head back to Muktuk Adventures and see them going past our lodge. We then will follow them on the trackers to see what time we have to leave to see the first teams coming into Braeburn, which is usually around midnight. After we leave Braeburn we will go back to Muktuk again to get a good rest in our beds.
Day 9/10 – Carmacks Today we will be hitting the second checkpoint in Carmacks, From there we can either drive back to Muktuk again or we can rough it and sleep at a check point and go from there to the next check point in Pelly.
Day 10-14 – Pelly We’ll be watching some teams in Pelly arriving while others are all ready to hit the trail again. – Dawson City – Tombstone From Pelly we will be driving to Dawson City. Dawson will be our base for the next 4 days. From there we will explore the old gold fields, watch teams coming in for their 36 hour rest. Cross the frozen Yukon River by foot and car and going for a day excursion to the Tombstone national park.
Day 15 – Departure All good things have to come to an end. Time to say goodbye to the dogs. We will drive you to the airport or a hotel in Downtown depending on your travel arrangements.
Itinerary is subject to change depending on race flow and weather conditions
Available Tour Start Dates:
Jan 27th to Feb 10 2019
Payment and Cancellation Policy:
- Non-refundable reservation fee at time of booking –
- 50% Payment of remainder 45 days before departure of trip
- Cancellation 45 + days in advance – 50 % refund (less reservation fee)
- Cancellation less than 45 days in advance – no refund Please read and understand the waiver and health forms Agreement. You must submit these forms at least 21 days prior to trip departure.
Adult prices quoted, without GST. Reduced rates available for youth and children. Prices are subject to change.
- Canadian law requires that you sign a ‘release of claims and waiver of liability form’ prior to participating on this trip.
- Please ensure you invest in travel insurance for your trip.
- Alcoholic beverages are not included; however, Muktuk is a licensed establishment.
- The Itinerary is subject to change depending on weather and the Race.