Lodge Based Rookie Ranch
Our Rookie Ranch is modelled on the well-known western concept of a “Dude Ranch” for novice horse riders. Even if you have never set foot on a dog-sled before you will be driving your own team before you leave Muktuk.Our guests experience all aspects of the amazing winter sport of dog-sledding.
Included in the tour:
- Introduction to sled-dogs and mushing
- Well-trained, certified guide and a team of 4 to 6 friendly huskies
- Winter gear (jacket, snow pants, warm boots, mitts available. If you want, you can buy your own thermal underwear from us at a special Muktuk rate)
- Accommodation and fine home-cooked meals, continental breakfast to get your morning started
- Ground transportation
- At the end of the trip, enjoy our “Taste of Yukon” Dinner and Sourdough Musher Certificate
You will learn how to care for the dogs, harness and “bootie” them and handle a dog-sled and motivate a team.
Some dogs are Yukon Quest veterans, others are race hopefuls in their 1st or 2nd year of training. At the end of the day Rookies can help with evening feeding and share trail stories over a fine dinner.
Retreat location outside of Whitehorse in the Ibex Valley allows for spectacular Northern Lights viewing.
- Alcoholic Beverages
- Personal toiletries (shampoo/body wash etc)
- All expenses of personal nature
Arrive for 4pm check-in Sunday. Get acquainted with our Off-grid lifestyle, and your accommodations for the week. Join our international crew for a home cooked healthy dinner and settle in for what will be an exciting week of dog-sledding in Canada’s true North.
Enjoy continental breakfast from 7:30 am to 9:00 am in the Main Lodge. Meet your guide and sign out your gear for the week. Let’s not waste any more time and introduce you to our family of huskies and your dog-team for your trip. Take a break for lunch followed by your first half day dog sledding trip.
Prepare for another day on the trail, this time a full day trip. Enjoy lunch on the trail around a camp fire. Learn about Klondike Gold Rush history and Muktuk Yukon Quest history and involvement. Share stories and continue to learn about your team and what it takes to motivate one.
Your choice day, mushing can be tiring. Choose from a selection of activities to compliment your package: half-day dog sledding and ice-fishing, snow shoeing, hike and walk along the ridge of Muktuk overlooking the Ibex Valley and Takhini River, participate in a Whitehorse City Tour. We can help arrange a day for the Wildlife Preserve and Hot Springs for an additional fee of $50 pp + GST. Or a snowmobile adventure for an additional fee of $150 pp + GST (snowmobiling price based on shared sled).
Another full day dog sled adventure on yet another scenic trail. Continue your progress as a musher and develop your bond with your dog team.
After now mushing for several days and developing your skills, take it to our technical trails in the bush surrounding Muktuk. Enjoy a special farewell dinner featuring our Taste of the Yukon bountiful meal. Finally, your guide will present to you your completion certificate.
Give your farewells to the dogs and prepare for checkout 11am. Transfer to the airport or to your hotel in town if you choose to explore Whitehorse a bit longer.
Available Tour Start Dates:
5 seats available – Sunday, December 11th 2016 – Saturday, December 17th 2016
6 seats available – Sunday, December 18th 2016 – Saturday, December 25th 2016
0 seats available– Sunday, January 1st 2017 – Saturday, January 7th 2017
6 seats available – Sunday, February 26th 2017 – Saturday, March 4th 2017
0 seats available – Sunday, March 5th 1st 2017 – Saturday, March 11th 2017
6 seats available – Sunday, March 19th 2017 – Saturday, March 25th 2017
6 seats available – Sunday, March 26th 2017 – Saturday, April 1st 2017
Payment and Cancellation Policy:
Non-refundable reservation fee at time of booking – 20 %
100% Payment 45 days before departure of trip
Cancellation 45 -21 days in advance – 50 % refund (less reservation fee)
Cancellation less than 21 days in advance – no refund
In case of cancellation all payments are transferable for up to one year.
Adult prices quoted, without GST. Reduced rates available for youth and children. Prices are subject to change.
If English isn’t your first language we have guides who speak German and Japanese, and support crew members working with us from other countries who may be able to assist on a tour in your preferred language.
- Average temperatures at this time of winter are between -2° and – 24° Celsius / 28 to -31 degrees Fahrenheit, but extremes may be as low as -45° Celsius / -50 Fahrenheit. We ask you to bring adequate clothing to withstand these temperatures. You may buy winter clothing in Whitehorse.
- Due to variables of weather and road conditions and the needs and safety of the dogs and participants, Muktuk Adventures Ltd explicitly reserves the right to adapt the tour itinerary. Changes to the itinerary at the discretion of the guide are possible.
- Canadian law requires that you sign a ‘release of claims and waiver of liability form’ prior to participating on this trip.
- Exclusive solo-trips (or couples) available at a surcharge of 25%
- Please ensure you invest in travel insurance for your trip.