Yukon Dog Sledding - Winter Camping
After you’ve taken care of your dog team, fed them, spread straw down for them to rest, slip into your sleeping bag underneath the Yukon sky and watch the aurora’s dance above you.
Included in the tour:
- Introduction to sled-dogs and mushing
- Well-trained, certified guide and a team of 4 to 6 friendly huskies
- Winter gear (jacket, snow pants, warm boots, mitts available.
- sleeping bag and all camping gear needed
- 5 nights Accommodation and meals at our lodge
- 2 nights camping on the trail with your dog team
- Out on the trail your guide will prepare your meals over your campfire
- Ground transportation
You will learn how to care for the dogs, harness and “bootie” them and handle a dog-sled At the end of the day Rookies can help with evening feeding and share trail stories over a fine dinner. Retreat location outside of Whitehorse in the Ibex Valley allows for spectacular Northern Lights viewing.
Alcoholic Beverages Gratuities Personal toiletries (shampoo/body wash etc) All expenses of personal nature
Day One Arrive for 4pm check-in Sunday. Get acquainted with our off-grid lifestyle.
Day Two Meet your guide and sign out your gear for your trip. Let’s not waste any more time and introduce you to our family of huskies and your dog-team for your adventure. you will learn the basics of how to harness and bootie the dogs, before you will head out on the trail after lunch time for a short run.
Day Three After you tested your gear and got some practice on the sled we will head out for a full day tour. Lunch will be on the trail
Day Four After 2 days of dogsledding we will give our muscles a little rest and explore the Wildlife preserve and go for a soak at the hot springs. In the afternoon we will try our luck at ice fishing. This day is flexible and we can make a plan with the group once everybody arrived at Muktuk.
Day Five In the morning we will pack our final gear and make any last adjustments before heading out on the trails for 3 days/2nights. We will depart muktuk at around noon
Day six Today you will explore more of the Yukon’s backcountry along the historic Dawson Trail
Day seven Return from camping adventure back to the Muktuk Adventures Lodge. You will have a new found appreciation for a hot shower and a couch next to the fireplace.
Day Eight Give your farewells to the dogs and prepare for checkout 11am. Transfer to the airport or to your hotel in town if you choose to explore Whitehorse a bit longer.
Available Tour Start Dates:
Jan 13 2019 – 4 seats available
Feb 10 2019 – 2 spots available for customized tour including 4 to 5 nights camping please contact us for details
Feb 17 2019 -2 spots available for customized tour including 3 nights camping please contact us for details
Payment and Cancellation Policy:
- Non-refundable reservation fee at time of booking – 50%
- Payment of remainder 45 days before departure of trip
- Cancellation 45 days or more 50 % refund (less reservation fee)
- Cancellation less than 45 days in advance – no refund
Please read and understand the waiver and health forms Agreement. You must submit these forms at least 21 days prior to trip departure. Availability depends on weather and trail conditions.
Muktuk Adventures reserves the right to cancel tour and/or offer other options which may have different rates. In case of cancellation all payments are transferable for up to one year or the end of the following season.
Minimum 2 people must be booked within this trip or subject to cancellation. Adult prices quoted, without GST. Reduced rates available for youth and children. Prices are subject to change.
- Average temperatures at this time of winter are between -2° and – 24° Celsius / 28 to -31 degrees Fahrenheit, but extremes may be as low as -45° Celsius / -50 Fahrenheit. We ask you to bring adequate clothing to withstand these temperatures. You may buy winter clothing in Whitehorse.
- Due to variables of weather and road conditions and the needs and safety of the dogs and participants, Muktuk Adventures Ltd explicitly reserves the right to adapt the tour itinerary. Changes to the itinerary at the discretion of the guide are possible.
- Canadian law requires that you sign a ‘release of claims and waiver of liability form’ prior to participating on this trip.
- Exclusive solo-trips (or couples) available at a surcharge of 25%
- Please ensure you invest in travel insurance for your trip.