Yukon Dogsledding - Lodge Based
The snow crunching under your runners, the cold and fresh air awakens your spirits and you feel like you are out of this world
Even if you have never set foot on a dog-sled before you will be driving your own dog team.
You will learn how to care for the dogs, harness and “bootie” them before stepping on the runners and experience the thrill of mushing for the first time.
We will start of easy with and introduction to dog sledding and and comfortable half day mush on the Takhini River. Each day we will evaluate and choose trails depending on your comfort level, with the idea of having the difficulty increase daily.
Not to forget a visit to the Wildlife preserve and a well deserved soak in the Takhini Hot springs.
At the end of the day Rookies can help with evening feeding and share trail stories over a fine dinner. Our lodge is located outside of Whitehorse in the Ibex Valley and allows for spectacular Northern Lights viewing.
By the end of the week you will be already planning your next dog sledding adventure.
Included in the tour:
- Introduction to sled-dogs and mushing
- Well-trained, certified guide and a team of 4 to 6 friendly huskies
- Winter gear (jacket, snow pants, warm boots, mitts available.
- Accommodation and fine home-cooked meals,
- Ground transportation
- possibility of seeing northern lights
- Alcoholic Beverages
- Personal toiletries (shampoo/body wash etc)
- All expenses of personal nature
Arrival day We will pick you up at the Airport or a hotel in Whitehorse. Get acquainted with our Off-grid lifestyle, and your accommodations for the week. Settle in for what will be an exciting week of dog-sledding in Canada’s true North.
Let the adventure begin
Day Two Enjoy continental breakfast before you meet your guide and sign out your gear for the week. Let’s not waste any more time and introduce you to our family of huskies and your dog-team for your trip. Take a break for lunch followed by your first half day dog sledding trip.
Prepare for another day on the trail. On Day Three it will be a full day trip. Enjoy lunch on the trail around a camp fire. Learn about our Yukon lifestyle and about our amazing dogs.
Time to explore
There are many other exiting things to do while in the Yukon . On Day Four In the morning we will visit the Yukon Wildlife preserve and have a chance to look at some of our Yukon wildlife, followed by a soak in the Yukon Hot springs. In the afternoon we will go on a frozen lake and try our luck with ice fishing.
Lets increase our level of dificulty
Another full day dog sledding. Day Five will take us to the next level of trail. Continue your progress as a musher and develop your bond with your dog team.
Ready for the final challenge
Day Six After now mushing for several days and developing your skills, we will take you to our technical trails in the bush surrounding Muktuk Adventures. Today is all about working together with your team.
Time to say goodbye
Day Seven Give your farewells to the dogs and prepare for checkout 11am. Transfer to the airport or to your hotel in town if you choose to explore Whitehorse a bit longer.
Payment and Cancellation Policy:
- Non-refundable reservation fee at time of booking – 50 %
- 100% Payment 45 days before departure of trip
- Cancellation 45 -21 days in advance – 50 % refund (less reservation fee)
- Cancellation less than 21 days in advance – no refund In case of cancellation all payments are transferable for up to one year.
Adult prices quoted, without GST. Reduced rates available for youth and children. Prices are subject to change. If English isn’t your first language we have guides who speak German and Japanese, and support crew members working with us from other countries who may be able to assist on a tour in your preferred language.
- Average temperatures at this time of winter are between -2° and – 24° Celsius / 28 to -31 degrees Fahrenheit, but extremes may be as low as -45° Celsius / -50 Fahrenheit. We ask you to bring adequate clothing to withstand these temperatures. You may buy winter clothing in Whitehorse.
- Due to variables of weather and road conditions and the needs and safety of the dogs and participants, Muktuk Adventures Ltd explicitly reserves the right to adapt the tour itinerary. Changes to the itinerary at the discretion of the guide are possible.
- Canadian law requires that you sign a ‘release of claims and waiver of liability form’ prior to participating on this trip.
- Exclusive solo-trips (or couples) available at a surcharge of 25%
- Please ensure you invest in travel insurance for your trip.
Duration: 7 days/6 nights