Lodge Based Rookie Ranch
Included in the tour:
- Introduction to sled-dogs and mushing
- Well-trained, certified guide and a team of 4 to 6 friendly huskies
- Winter gear (jacket, snow pants, warm boots, mitts available.
- Accommodation and fine home-cooked meals, continental breakfast to get your morning started
- Ground transportation
- Sourdough Musher Certificate
You will learn how to care for the dogs, harness and “bootie” them and handle a dog-sled and motivate a team.
At the end of the day Rookies can help with evening feeding and share trail stories over a fine dinner.
Retreat location outside of Whitehorse in the Ibex Valley allows for spectacular Northern Lights viewing.
- Alcoholic Beverages
- Personal toiletries (shampoo/body wash etc)
- All expenses of personal nature
Arrive for 4pm check-in Sunday. Get acquainted with our Off-grid lifestyle, and your accommodations for the week. Join our international crew for a home cooked healthy dinner and settle in for what will be an exciting week of dog-sledding in Canada’s true North.
Enjoy continental breakfast from 7:30 am to 9:00 am in the Main Lodge. Meet your guide and sign out your gear for the week. Let’s not waste any more time and introduce you to our family of huskies and your dog-team for your trip. Take a break for lunch followed by your first half day dog sledding trip.
Prepare for another day on the trail, this time a full day trip. Enjoy lunch on the trail around a camp fire. Learn about Klondike Gold Rush history and Muktuk Yukon Quest history and involvement. Share stories and continue to learn about your team and what it takes to motivate one.
There are many other things to do while in the Yukon other than dog sledding. We will take you ice fishing in the morning and take you to the Wildlife preserve in the afternoon where you can Moose, Elk, Muskoxen and many more animals which call the Yukon their home. We will finish the day off with a soak at the Hot springs.
Another full day dog sled adventure on yet another scenic trail. Continue your progress as a musher and develop your bond with your dog team.
After now mushing for several days and developing your skills, take it to our technical trails in the bush surrounding Muktuk. Enjoy a special farewell dinner featuring our Taste of the Yukon bountiful meal. Finally, your guide will present to you your completion certificate.
Give your farewells to the dogs and prepare for checkout 11am. Transfer to the airport or to your hotel in town if you choose to explore Whitehorse a bit longer.
Available Tour Start Dates:
0 seats available – Sunday, December 10th 2017 – Saturday, December 16th 2017
0 seats available – Sunday, December 17th 2017 – Saturday, December 23th 2017
0 seats available– Sunday, December 31st 2017 – Saturday, January 6th 2018
2 seats available – Sunday February 25th 2018 – Saturday March 3rd 2018
2 seats available – Sunday, March 11th 2018 – Saturday, March17th 2018
0 seats available – Sunday, March 25th 2018 – Saturday, March 31st 2018
Payment and Cancellation Policy:
Non-refundable reservation fee at time of booking – 20 %
100% Payment 45 days before departure of trip
Cancellation 45 -21 days in advance – 50 % refund (less reservation fee)
Cancellation less than 21 days in advance – no refund
In case of cancellation all payments are transferable for up to one year.
Adult prices quoted, without GST. Reduced rates available for youth and children. Prices are subject to change.
If English isn’t your first language we have guides who speak German and Japanese, and support crew members working with us from other countries who may be able to assist on a tour in your preferred language.
- Average temperatures at this time of winter are between -2° and – 24° Celsius / 28 to -31 degrees Fahrenheit, but extremes may be as low as -45° Celsius / -50 Fahrenheit. We ask you to bring adequate clothing to withstand these temperatures. You may buy winter clothing in Whitehorse.
- Due to variables of weather and road conditions and the needs and safety of the dogs and participants, Muktuk Adventures Ltd explicitly reserves the right to adapt the tour itinerary. Changes to the itinerary at the discretion of the guide are possible.
- Canadian law requires that you sign a ‘release of claims and waiver of liability form’ prior to participating on this trip.
- Exclusive solo-trips (or couples) available at a surcharge of 25%
- Please ensure you invest in travel insurance for your trip.